Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cream of Cauliflower Soup in my Great Grandma's Soup Tureen


NOTE: I apologize for the lackluster photo. I was at the beginning stages of learning how to photograph food. The recipe is really good, however. I make it on a regular basis.

This last week, I've been distracted and very busy with my job. The dust has settled a bit, so I'm finally able to upload some photos and share recipes.

Today is a rainy day, and that's when I crave soup.  I decided to make "Pioneer Woman's" recipe for cauliflower soup. I had some frozen homemade chicken stock, from the roasted chicken I had made a couple of weeks ago. I tweaked just a couple of things. It was Ree's photos of her soup tureen that reminded me... I have my Great Grandmother's Soup Tureen in bubble wrap in my garage storage! I decided to start using it. All I know about the tureen is that my grandmother was born in 1902 and it belonged to her mother. My German relatives come from Southern Germany-- "Bavaria". They owned a a very successful hotel & restaurant. I've visited it, but it was finally torn down in the 90's. That's probably where my love of cooking gene came from.

The recipe was delicious-- though, next time, I think I'll use fresh thyme (that is thriving in my backyard) for a little extra flavor. The German side of me loves cream-of-anything soups. My "must have" ingredient is fresh lemon juice. It's what gives soups, in my opinion, that wonderful brightness of flavor. Try it!


Here's the printable recipe card:


Pin It

3 comments:

Culinarywannabe said...

What a great story! It's so nice to have items from our loved ones that we can still use today. And I wish I was coming to your house for the game - everything sounds delicious! Hope everything has worked out with your emergency and that you can enjoy being with your family today.

Stacey Snacks said...

Deb,
Your soup looks great & being an antiques dealer, I love the tureen!
I love using antiques for serving.
Enjoy!

comfycook said...

For me, this is the year of the soup, and cauliflower is a good base since it picks up other flavors and is subtle in taste itself. I have used cauliflower, in place of potatoes in a few dishes. A lot healthier.